Basic Skills in Volleyball - Volleyball Juggling
The following drills are a simple way to improve basic skills
in volleyball, especially for the beginning volleyball players.
Basic Skills in Volleyball - What Is "Volleyball Juggling"?
- The player repeats volleyball hit after another by
her/himself. For example
- Player repeats sets
- Player repeats forearm passes
- By changing the height: 2-balls, high balls up to the
- Mixing up one hand sets, one hand passes into the mix
- Mixing up "pokes", "tomahawks" into the mix
- Rotating 180 or 360 clockwise and counter clockwise when
- Touching the ground between the hits
- Jumping between the hits
- Clapping hands between the hits
- Closing eyes between the hits
- By using the wall, instead of hitting the ball straight
up you can hit it forward or backwards
- By using the net, you can make up many more "juggling
- Hitting the ball over the net and moving to another side
and repeating it one after another
Why to "Juggle"? - Juggling improves the basic skills in
- Good warm ups for players of all ages and levels, from
beginners to pros.
- One great example of this is performing forearm pass
straight up as
high as you can go. If the gym is high enough, you’ll be surprised to
see even the very best volleyball players struggling with it.
Extremely High Ball
- It improves your passing since the ball placement on your
to be perfect; otherwise the player keeps running around the gym to
chase the ball.
- Pay attention to how more accurate the forearm pass
becomes when you keep your eyes on the ball when it hits your arms.
- Often in passing players don’t follow it all the way
ball takes surprising move at the last moment - the ball will be passed
poorly, shanked. You’ll improve your passing just by watching the ball
hitting your arms.
- This "high bump-set straight up" is also a great way for
improve their bump setting. After performing them, bump setting becomes
much easier task.
Why to "Juggle"?
- Improves ball control, therefore are great especially for
the beginning players
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- By using walls it is possible to make up many juggling
help players to keep working on the skills during practice downtimes
- For example if there is an extra setter for the drill,
s/he can go
and perform some jiggling drills to the side while waiting for the turn
- Have you seen basketball players bouncing the ball and
tricks while walking? Be careful, if doing these tricks on the
walkways, but you can perform these juggling drills while taking a walk
to practice gym or beach.
What is the purpose of these juggling drills?
The purpose is to improve ball control and hand-eye
Many of these juggling skills for example pokes and one hand digs are
mainly used to improve ball control. As last resort they may be used in
the game situation also - sometimes they may save you a point.
To get specific examples how to practice basic skills in volleyball by
juggling, click the following link:
Enjoy this page?
Click “Like” below!